Saturday 10 January 2015

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Review

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
My Rating: 8.5/10


"This movie splits me right down the middle. Here is the problem, the animated monkeys were better written and better acted than the humans.
The humans were a bore. The lead human had no real reason to do the things he did, no driving force to be that friend or hero for the monkeys and no reason to be liked by the audience. 
The other humans were more plot devises to help us see the moral dilemmas of the monkeys.

The other half of the film is the Apes, their survival, family, friendship and betrayal. I can't even explain how good this stuff is. Caesar, the big Ape on Campus and how the others see him is beautiful. I have to say that seeing the previous film may have assisted in my emotional enjoyment... perhaps. He is extremely likable. 
I'm not sure if it was deliberate but the Apes are a LOT more human than the humans. That comment SOUNDS like it might be impressive if it were deliberate. But I'm not so sure. I really wanted to like them and I think the film wanted me to as well. Sigh.

Humans aside this film could still make you tear. I almost did. In the end; the drama of the animated characters is so good, really so so good that I'm pushing the rating up."

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 90%
IMDB Rating:7.8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment