Wednesday 14 January 2015

Lucy Review

Lucy
My Rating: 3.5/10

"So I recently reviewed 'Under the Skin' starring Scarlett Johansson. I gave it a 9/10. The only reason I mention that is for one; the two films were released close to each other but also similar posters were designed. Both portraying the actress (Scarlett Johansson)'s face staring outwards. So in a subconscious way, I think i expected similar from both. These films could not be further apart. 
I originally wanted to see Lucy because it had a cool trailer. I still stand by that, the trailer is cool. Plus it's not too often you see a female lead in an action movie. (Go watch Hanna)

The beginning of the film is alright while the lead character (Johansson) has a personality. As soon as she gets the super brain power she loses all of that relatability. Throwing away both her emotion and sympathy. The very smart lady wants to shoot everyone. I'm not entirely sure how gaining more knowledge turns you into a nut case.
At this point the audience has completely no way of relating to her as she is basically a dead eyed killer. We needed more signs of humanity than we were given.

Lucy gains a sidekick who is this french detective with no reason to be there at all and again, no personality. He's just there to get a kiss at the end. Gosh, I found his presence so annoying. 

The bad guys have no personalities, popping up in the stupidest ways and they all talk nonsense. They were played out in such a way I was not sure whether I should laugh or not.

Morgan Freeman stands around and says stuff the whole movie. I did like his character, but probably just because it was Morgan Freeman. He had a believable passion for the studies and if the rest of the movie was not so moronic his research might have sounded a lot more impressive over the visuals. 

There is only one bit of the film I liked. To read spoiler drag over the invisible text. The time travel scene and the moment when Lucy disappears completely in the chair. I'm not sure why, but I quite liked that bit 
End of invisible text

Weird cuts of animal footage and a relatively cool soundtrack make it seem like they were going for something more interesting but falling short. 

The problem is, if you're looking for an easy bit of entertainment it does not even reach that. 
Here is a quote from a friend. "For a film about how smart we could be it was dumb as shit."

Sequel!"

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 66%
IMDB Rating:6.4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment